Thursday, April 26, 2007

BUCK'S BAND......












or rather the
PUHS PANTHER BAND
.
.
The first time I met Buck was the summer before his first year teaching at PUHS. He was a little "rumpled" looking, at least in the clothing department - and I wasn't impressed.
*
The second time I saw him was at a pre-school year get together he called with some of the band members at his Bellevue Street apartment. I was pleased to be included in the group.
*
He shared his vision of what the band could be - and I was impressed. I had been in band under Mr. Wayne Kemper (1951-52) and also under Mr. Charles Costarello (1952-53) but I had never seen the possibilities for the band with them the way I did when Buck explained it.
*
As I had been the drum major the previous year he chose me as his first drum major also. Buck had definite ideas on how I should appear in the role: "Point your toes at the ground, step high, arch your back. Oh, and I want you to march about twice as far as the band because while they are marching straight ahead I want you to strut back and forth across the street in front of them." I did it, it worked, and I was his devoted student from then on.
*
Buck could visualize things for you in such a way as to make you understand that it could be done, and you could do it. I went on to play clarinet in the U.S. Coast Guard Band of the Pacific. I played in college dance bands and sung in musicals and choirs (still do) Other teachers can take the credit for teaching me the mechanics of music, but it was Buck that taught me that I could stand up in front of people and have the confidence to actually perform.

This photo was taken from a printed postcard that Buck had made up especially to promote the band. The back side states, "PORTERVILLE UNION HIGH SCHOOL BAND is one of California's most up-and-coming musical groups. Its repertoire runs from the Traditional to the Modern in band music."
Buck Shaffer, wearing a dark suit, is on the right, standing in front of a Tuba player. I am in the left front row wearing the dark colored Drum Major uniform.

No comments: